Wednesday 21 September 2011

3.2. All references relating to being governess

 - Governessess were expected to fullfill the roles of a distant mother and friend, and they were expected to be qualified to educate others.

Chapter 10:

"Miss Temple, through all changes, had thus far continued superintendent of the seminary; to her instructioon I owed the best part of my acquirements; her friendship and society had been my continual solace: she had stood me in the stead of mother, governess, and, latterly, companion." (71)


"The testimonial I accordingly recieved in about a month, forwarded a copy of it to Mrs. Fairfax, and got that lady's reply, stating that she was satisfied, and fixing the day fortnight as the period for my assuming the post of governess in her house." (76)

 - They were expected to be grateful for what they recieved and to act noble, they were not allowed think that they should be respected or treated as royalty.

Chapter 11:

"A more reassuring introduction for a new governess could scarcely be concieved: there was no gradeur to overwhelm, no statelines to embarrass; and then, as I entered, the old lady got up, and promptly and kindly came forward to meet me." (81)

"'She treats me like a visitor,' thought I. 'I little expected such a reception; I anticipated only coldness and stiffness: this is not like what I have heard of the treatment of governessess; but I must not exult too soon.'" (82)

 - Governessess were excpected to dress in a specific way and they were expected to take care of the children.

Chapter 16:

“He stopped, ran his eye over my dress, which, as usual, was quite simple – a black merino cloak, a black beaver bonnet; neither of them half fine enough for a lady’s-maid. “ “Ah, the governess!” (135)

“what are you about Miss Eyre, to let Adele sit up so long? Take her to bed” (149)

 - society frowned upon governessess that had a relationship with their masters and they were meant to act as a worker for the master.

Chapter 24:

"Try and keep Mr. Rochester at a distance: distrust yourself as well as him. Gentlemen in his station are not accustomed to marry their governessess." (226)

"You will give up your governessing slavery at once." (230)

 - governessess were expected to be calm and caring, not to have a temper or have arguments with others.

Chapter 27:

"to avoid fluctuations of feeling, and cintinual combats with recollections and associations," (256)

 - they were expected to be clever and educated if they wanted to work for upper class families.

Chapter 32:

"she is clever enough to be a governess in a high family, papa." (315)

No comments:

Post a Comment